Friends and supporters of Salish Sea Expeditions and the Northwest Maritime Center,
I’m writing to you today to inform you that in the interest of public health and the health of the Salish/NWMC community, we are canceling Friday’s Seafood Bash.
Hopefully we’ll look back on this decision as foolish, that in hindsight the virus proved less serious and less contagious than the modelling suggests at this moment, but given the current acceleration of coronavirus cases in Washington and the level of concern and uncertainty that surrounds it, we determined that the only responsible course of action was to cancel.
The layered answer to your question of “What does this mean?” starts with this:
- We’re looking at options for how to reschedule for the fall.
- We’ll be following up with how you can support Salish’s compelling programs without personal exposure to the virus.
- We’re “rewilding” 200 pounds of salmon fillets back to their natural retail habitat.
In all seriousness, while we couldn’t in good conscience gather our nearest and dearest during our region’s peak contagion moment, we’re weeks away from a full season of hands-on science education that’s lined up for students this spring; instructors are training as we speak, and the first students arrive on March 21st. These programs are powerful experiences for the students but require funding to make happen. We hope you consider the following:
- Between the Crabtucky Derby, silent and live auctions, dessert dash, and everything else, the average attendee gives between $500-$1,000. To make a gift in support of Salish, please go to https://nwmaritime.org/salish/. Scroll down a little to get to the gift form.
- If you would like to donate your ticket price, it’s easy: do nothing. If we don’t hear from you in two weeks we’ll send you a donation letter for your taxes.
- If you would like a refund, or to roll over your ticket into the future event, please email email@example.com.
Thanks for your understanding for our cancellation, and thank you for your continued support of Salish Sea Expeditions.
Since 1997, Salish Sea Expeditions has been leading expeditions that inspire students to take ownership of their own learning through science and maritime exploration. Each year, Salish Sea Expeditions works with up to 25 schools to connect over 700 students in grades 5-12 to the marine environment. While we serve a broad spectrum of youth, Salish Sea Expeditions is dedicated to serving low-income students and schools that are less likely to have qualified STEM teachers, direct access to Puget Sound, or field-based science learning experiences.Follow along with the educational journey on our blog, View From the Helm, sign up to receive our eNews, and join our community on Facebook and Instagram.
2019 Seafood Bash
March 1, 2019 – The Foundry-SODO, Seattle, WA
2018 Patrons of Discovery Breakfast
October 17, 2018 – Bainbridge Island, WA
2018 Salish Sea Student Science Symposium
May 23, 2018 – Bainbridge Island Museum of Art, Bainbridge Island, WA
2018 Seafood Bash and Auction
March 3, 2018 – Museum of History and Industry, Seattle, WA